Uses of the Roselle Plant
Roselle is an example of a plant that has many beneficial uses. The right person can use all its parts like the roselle calyces, leaves, stem, flower, etc for one purpose or the other. Some of these uses include:
This plant is quite famous for its many and fleshy calyces. The fresh calyces of red roselle are used to produce a bright red-colored, nice-tasting drink called the roselle juice Also, some folks use the leaves of the roselle in their salads. When the roselle leaves are used in salads, they add a taste that is akin to spicy spinach mixed with some sour fruitiness. The dried calyces and as well as the dried flower is also used as an essential ingredient in various recipes.
With a reputation for anti-aging properties, the roselle plant is quite popular in the beauty and skincare world. It has been used to make a face/body scrubs, facial steams, clay masks, etc. The roselle flowers are beneficial because of the antioxidants that they possess – these help to neutralize the effects of free radicals, and leaves you glowing with health.
Roselle Plant Health Benefits
1. Menstrual Pain
– Provides relief from cramps and menstrual pain
– Helps in restoring hormonal balance (which can reduce other symptoms of menstruation like mood swings, depression, and overeating)
2. Anti-Inflammatory and Antibacterial Properties
Hibiscus tea is rich in ascorbic acid, also known as vitamin C. Vitamin C is an essential nutrient required by our body to boost and stimulate the activity of your immune system. Fresh or dried flower of roselle contains high quantities of Vitamin C.
– Boosts immune system (prevents cold and flu)
– Anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties
– Helps to treat discomfort caused by fever (due to its cooling effect)
3. Aids Digestion
The seed capsule in the roselle fruit is known for its diuretic and tonic properties. It is hence used for the following purposes:
– Increases both urination and bowel movements(due to its diuretic properties)
– Treats constipation
– Prevents colorectal cancer
4. Weight Loss
5. Antidepressant Properties
– Contains antidepressant properties like flavonoids
– Helps to calm down the nervous system
– Helps to reduce anxiety and depression by creating a relaxed sensation in the body and mind.
6. Anti-Cancer Properties
7. Cough, Colds and Fever Management
8. Blood Pressure Management
9. Protects Liver
– Antioxidant properties helps to treat liver diseases (Antioxidants help to protect your body from diseases because they neutralize the free radicals present in body tissues and cells)
10. Maintains Healthy Teeth and Gums
– This is due to the significant calcium content in red roselle
11. Healthy Pregnancy
Pregnant women should consume more iron rich foods than anyone else.
– red roselle is rich in iron